Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Back to School

Last night a back to school picnic at Denali Montessori School I met a lovely lady who has a son with similar allergies as Carmen. She had baked cupcakes to share with people which had no wheat or dyes in them. Hers were the kinnikinnick brand which I have never tried. I almost cried when I spoke with her. It was amazing! There was also another mom there who made brownies which were "Carmen-safe" as well.

I brought no-bake oatmeal drop cookies because I got home too late from work to do anything else. I had a sign up to tell people what was in them and someone else used my tray to display with other "not safe" cookies and treats. I was really upset until I saw the other offerings these lovely women had made for their children.

Also - we had packed a lunch bag for Carmen with her safe food so it all worked out okay but WOW I was so impressed with these other ladies.

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that there were some other people who understood what kind of issues Carmen has. I'm sure she was thrilled to be able to share a treat someone else brought just like the other kids. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is nice to know that there are other people who have the same issues and are aware of what is going on with other children. I'm sorry that people didn't read the sign about 'safe and unsafe' for kids with allergies. That can be a dangerous oversight. I would have been very upset as a mother.

    ReplyDelete