Saturday, November 20, 2010

Fast dinner

Last night I was in a major "funk" and I was thinking that I had nothing to make for supper.
I walked to the natural food section and nothing jumped out at me but then I remembered this incredibly yummy dish that I had at the Spaghetti Factory when I was in Washington years ago; "mizitra with browned butter spaghetti". I thought HEY - I can make a meal of this! Granted, we can't have regular spaghetti but I have been becoming a fan of Mrs. Leepers corn spaghetti. I set to work and grabbed some organic chicken thighs (thighs are a whole lot cheaper than breasts and they hold flavor better) and mizitra cheese. Mizitra is a Greek sheep's milk cheese that is incredibly white. It's a little briny but it is not strong like feta. Its a little crumbly but you can grate it and doesn't melt well but it is perfectly safe for us to use because it is not "cow".
I started to boil the water, whipped out 4 slices of bacon diced them, fried it then set it aside then I diced the chicken and put it in the same frying pan the bacon was in! Added some seasoning (kirkland organic no salt). By this time the water was boiling so I put the chicken aside and started the noodles (8 minutes).
Then, I got 4 TBS of goat butter and put it in the frying pan to let it melt. I grated the cheese. As soon as the noodles were done, I strained them added the browned butter, cheese, chicken and bacon! Voila! I served it with some fresh broccoli. My family does not liked cooked veggies...

Anyway, it was tasty, fun, easy and really great for my kids allergies.

No comments:

Post a Comment